Edward White was a distinguished landscape architect. Born in Worthing, he came to London and met civil engineer H E Milner to whom he became an apprentice. After taken into partnership, he married Milner’s eldest daughter. The firm gained a reputation with the owners of large estates and local authorities for the sympathetic treatment of ground contours and natural features.
He was responsible for the gardens at the new Government Building in Ottawa, Bagshot Park, and Drottingholm (for the King of Sweden). He also planned the first Chelsea Flower Show, the Royal Horticultural Exhibition of 1912, the gardens at the British Empire Exhibition of 1924 and the British gardens at the Brussels Exhibition. White had a great interest in the cremation movement and for the development of ‘gardens of remembrance’ where ashes could be scattered or buried. He was responsible for the development of the gardens at Golders Green in 1938, at the West London Crematorium at Kensal Green in 1939, the Garden of Rest at Chipperfield Church, Hertfordshire, and the Glades of Remembrance at Brookwood.