Plots and Sections

These pages provide information on the major plots and sections within Brookwood Cemetery and illustrate the wide variety of burial areas available. A map is provided to help you locate the sections mentioned below.
Plot Map of Cemetery

North Area

Air Accidents
Corps of Commissionaires

The Corps of Commissionaires was founded by Captain Sir Edward Walter in 1859, and this burial ground was set aside for the Corps sometime afterwards.  Captain Walter is commemorated by the prominent granite obelisk, although he is not buried at Brookwood.

 

The Czechoslovakian Military Cemetery

The Czechoslovakian Military Cemetery was created after the Second World War and commemorates Czechoslovakian servicemen whose bodies were buried in various cemeteries throughout the United Kingdom.

Latvian burial ground
Oddfellows burial ground

(Plot 130, by New Muslim ground)

This plot was reserved for the Independent Order of Oddfellows in 1859, providing burial space for the various lodges of the Metropolitan District of the Society.

The prominent central memorial commemorates the inauguration of the plot on 14 October 1861.

Plot 119
Plot 126
Plot 127
Plot 134
Roman Catholic 1

This is the original Catholic burial ground at Brookwood. It dates back to 1859 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Southwark. At that time it was the only consecrated ground in his diocese near London.

The area includes the Nicols family mausoleum.

Roman Catholic 2

Plot 124 includes the cemetery chapel, completed in 1899. It stands in the centre of the “new” Catholic areas which comprise plots 123, 124 and part of plot 119. The chapel is available for hire.

Swedish burial ground

This plot forms the burial ground of the Swedish Congregation in London. It was opened in 1857. An attractive avenue of silver birches runs through the centre of the plot.

Woking Ground
Zoroastrian

South Area

Glades of Remembrance

The Glades of Remembrance were created over 50 years ago in response to the demand for a more permanent form of commemoration as an alternative for those who prefer cremation. The Glades, set in some 20 acres of magnificent wooded gardens with leafy glades and an ornamental lake, provide a truly private resting place in which ashes may be interred. The choice of each site, whether for the individual or the family, is a matter of personal preference and small monuments or memorials may be erected in the memory of those who rest here.

 

Key to Map

A – Entrance
B – The Lake
C – Lakeside, North
D – Lakeside, South
E – Fern Glade
F – The Sanctuary
G – Maple Glade
H – Birch Glade
I – Pine Glade
J – Sylvan Walk
K – South Walk
L – North Walk
M – The Rock Gardens
O – The Grove

Mausoleums

This page illustrates some of the mausoleums to be found in the former Church of England sections within Brookwood Cemetery.

Plot 2

This large plot faces onto St Cyprian’s Avenue and is close to the entrance off Cemetery Pales

Plot 3

This large plot faces onto St Cyprian’s Avenue and is close to the entrance off Cemetery Pales

Plot 31

This large plot faces onto St George’s Avenue and includes the Drake family mausoleum and the grave of Ross Lowis Mangles VC

QAIMNS - Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Military Cemetery

The Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service burial ground is completely separate from the main military cemetery. It is located in plot 71 and is adjacent to the Ismaili burial ground. The ground contains the graves of several members of the QAIMNS, one member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment, and a member of the Territorial Forces.

Royal Hospital Chelsea

This plot has been used by the Royal Hospital Chelsea since 1894. The area was originally laid out with some memorials and headstones. These were largely removed in 1954 when the hospital authorities decided to economise on the maintenance of the plot. Some of the original memorials were placed on the boundary of the plot.

The large central memorial (shown below) was dedicated in 1937. Today the plot is used for the reception of ashes of Chelsea Pensioners. Burials of Chelsea Pensioners at Brookwood continue in the “new” Hospital burial ground behind the Canadian military section.

St Alban the Martyr

This is the plot used by the church of St Alban the Martyr since 1862-63. It has been in use ever since. An attractive lych gate forms the main entrance to the plot from St Mark’s Avenue. St Alban’s still has its own Burial Society which dates back to 1866.

St. Andrews Lawn

Otherwise known as “the Lawn”, this attractive area lies beside St Andrew’s Avenue. It is close to the church of the St Edward Brotherhood.

St. Marylebone

The crypt of St Marylebone church was last used in 1853, when its entrance was bricked up. In 1980 the church authorities decided to re-use the crypt for the living. Three years later, and with appropriate authority, over 850 coffins were reburied at Brookwood, in the area surrounding this memorial. Like the other church reburial sites at Brookwood, the memorial records the date of the reburials but not the names. A full list of names is held in the parish office at St Marylebone. In 1987 the crypt was opened as a Healing and Counselling Centre by the Prince of Wales.

St. Stephen's

This burial ground was opened in about 1905 and is still used by the parish today. The plot features a lych gate at the entrance on St George’s Avenue and a memorial cross in the centre of the ground.

The Ring

Plot 35

Woking Ground 1

Muslim Area

Ahmadiyya Burial Ground

The Ahmadiyya Muslim community is a religious organisation with branches in more than 193 countries. It is the most dynamic denomination of Islam in modern history, with an estimated membership of 160 million worldwide.

The Ahmadiyya Muslim community was established by Hadhrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835-1908) in 1889 in the small and remote village of Qadian in Punjab, India. he claimed to be the expected reformer of the latter days and the awaited one of the world community of religions. The community he started is an embodiment of the benevolent message of Islam in its pristine purity that promotes peace and universal brotherhood based on a belief in the gracious and ever-merciful God.

Within a century the Ahmadiyya Muslim community has expanded globally and it endeavours to practice the peaceful teachings of Islam by raising hundreds of thousands of pounds for charities, building schools and hospitals open to all, and by encouraging learning through inter-faith dialogue.

The UK chapter of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community was established in 1913 as the first overseas mission of the Ahmadiyya community. In 1924 it built London’s first purpose built mosque in Putney, the Fazl Mosque. In 2003 the community opened the largest mosque in Western Europe, the Baitul Futuh Mosque, in Morden. Ahmadiyya Muslim community is one of the oldest and most established Muslim organisations in Britain and now has over 90 branches across Britain.

Laying the foundation stone of the Fazl Mosque (1924)
Opening ceremony of the Fazl Mosque (1926)

Bagh E Zehra

PLOT 1

Ismalli
Jamaat
M1
M2
M3
M4
New Muslim High Ground
Turkish Air Force

This area, beside Plot M1, contains fourteen members of the Turkish Air Force who were killed during the Second World War. It also contains the mortal remains of Arif Bey (died 1836) whose remains were removed here from Woolwich in 1962.

The following areas are military sections and not a part of Brookwood Cemetery:

  • American
  • British
  • Canadian
  • Czechoslovakian
  • Free French
  • Italian
  • Polish
  • Royal Air Force (RAF)
  • The Brookwood Memorial

 

Please note that there are separate contact numbers for:

  • American Military Cemetery: (01483) 473237
  • Commonwealth War Graves Commission: (01483 474093) – for enquiries about burials email enquiries@cwgc.org or visit www.cwgc.org